PF Flyers: Radio Flyer: Clam Diggers...??


Well, it was sure funny this morning on Canada AM. Jeff seemed to be the only one who knew what PF Flyers, Radio Flyer and Clam diggers were.
Of course PF flyers were canvas runners, white laces and high tops. I had a pair that I just loved... being a baseball player I can still remember my red Bramalea Girls Softball team suits and my PFFs. I was the only one who could turn a home run into a 3 bagger- so my coach said... again with the short jokes...











Now, as for the clam diggers/pedal pushers, as a girl from the 50's they were the summer pants.- just below the knee, or on me about mid calf.. height challenged... they didn't get caught in my bicycle chain and kept my legs cool... The boys wore the clam diggers but I'm not so sure they were that popular. It was a "girlie thing" not very boyish.... I think clam diggers came about because when you were digging for clams one would roll up their pant legs, wade into the water and dig for clams... hence clam diggers were born...
I think the more modern version of baggie longish shorts for guys have become more popular.
As any clothing fad it recycles every 10 years or so... I'm sure clam diggers will be back...

Now, the Radio flyer... I was never lucky enough to own one.. I had the imitation...



This is the Cadillac of wagons.
Kneeling one leg in the wagon, pushing off with the other leg- you could fly down the streets- of course with your PFFs and pedal pushers on too...








It's been a fun morning reminiscing about my childhood. So, Jeff you are not the only one who knows about these great items... Sadly the age factor is at play...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blocking 220 Superwash

Spring Sweater Knitting

LYS Day 2022